Friday, August 14, 2009

Revisiting Brideshead


Last night I finished watching the 1981 Brideshead Revisited TV adaptation. I read and wrote on Brideshead at university but, slightly embarrassingly, seem to have been more affected by the TV adaptation than the novel itself.

The tortured outpouring at the fountain from Diana Quick's beguiling, brisk and conflicted Julia and the tremendously painful return to the estate evoked by Jeremy Irons' insular, mournful Charles have played on my mind all day. Unfortunately the book is at home, but if I had it with me I would break my rigorously-applied rule and plunge into it again. As it is, I'm sating myself with tales of the inspiration.

If you haven't read or seen Brideshead, put one or the other at the top of your To Do List and prepare to be enthralled.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. Unfortunately, Brideshead just reminds me of a certain nameless tool. Will watch the TV series though as I haven't seen it.

    "Jeremy's... Iron."

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin